Sunday, April 6, 2014

Food Inequality

  It is astounding the amount of food inequality we have going on in our own backyard. Growing up I would always be told "Anthony, finish whats left on your plate there are kids starving in Ethiopia." My witty and always go to response was "Mom, if they were knocking on the window I would give them my food." As witty as my comeback was it is besides the point I'm trying to make. My point is when my Mom would say is the starving people were in Ethiopia, she didn't mean just Ethiopia she meant all third world countries in that comment. And I'm sure that this is a comment we are all somewhat familiar with. By her saying this is represents a lot of our views on where people are that go to bed hungry at night. The reality is that there are people starving amongst us, whether we realize it or not.
   Not only are there people going to bed hungry at night that are so close to us but often have a surplus of food. I'm not saying my parents or families that have a surplus of food are bad people at all, I'm simply stating that we often have skewed views of where the real dissonance in the stats are at.
  We live in a society that often even worships food and makes competitions and challenges out of it.
While there are people out there starving our society is trying to see how much food we can stuff in ourselves without puking to win a free t-shirt or some sort of prize.

I don't have a solution to this problem, but maybe you do.

1 comment:

  1. That was a crazy amount of food, I would assume that some one who has struggled with hunger would not find that video impressive. That amount of food could have lasted me two days!!!! And that guy ate it in twenty minutes, what the heck.

    ReplyDelete