Sunday, April 20, 2014

Going ethnic in Chicago

During this Easter weekend I had the opportunity to travel to Chicago to visit my girlfriends family. I have been to the windy city many times but have always stuck to mainly authentic Chicago style food, such as Chicago style deep dish pizza or famous burger joints around there. Since our project is making us try and ethnic food we have never had before I asked my girlfriends mother if we could go somewhere.....ethnic. They are a very experimenting family when it comes to food and were more than excited to cater my request.

    While driving around we stumbled across a restaurant called "Demera Ethiopian restaurant". As in came across I mean her father had known about this place and new exactly where he was taking us. He has a very cultured taste pallet and that came in handy for this project. I have never eaten Ethiopian food before but I was about too. My mind ran with the random and endless possibilities with what Ethiopians would eat. As I received the menu I started browsing, and was very surprised by the amount of food that looked delicious. I ended up choosing the Ye-Doro tibs which was Chicken breast cubes marinated in lemon juice and garlic, then sautéed with onions, tomato, sliced jalapeños and rosemary; spicy, medium or mild. THEY WERE PHENOMENAL!!!!!! I was blown away by the spices and flavor this dish packed in it.
  I was unable to get really any information on the background due to it being packed but It was outstanding.


1 comment:

  1. We don't have an Ethiopian restaurant in Kalamazoo, alas.

    ReplyDelete